Baby Shower Cakes - More Than Just Dessert
A baby shower is a way for family and friends to celebrate the expected arrival of a new baby with the parents-to-be. It is a joyous occasion and fun for all! But hosting a great baby shower takes some real planning. A very important part of the planning process is the cake. Every baby shower needs a cake, but the cake can serve as more than just a dessert--it can also double as a decoration, even a centerpiece! Most baby showers have a theme, and the entire party is based on that theme. The cake is no exception and should also follow whatever theme you've chosen. If you're talented and can bake and decorate a cake (or know someone who can), you may want to have a home-made cake. Or you can order one from a bakery, making sure you place your order in plenty of time for the shower. Once you've decided whether it will be home-made or store-bought, you will need to decide what type of cake to have. There are many different varieties of baby shower cakes to choose from. Some of them are listed below: ˇ Angelfood cake ˇ Butter cake ˇ Butterfly cake ˇ Carrot cake ˇ Cheesecake ˇ Chocolate cake ˇ Chiffon cake ˇ Cupcake ˇ Devil's food cake ˇ Fruit cake ˇ Gingerbread ˇ Ice cream cake ˇ Mooncake ˇ Pineapple upside down cake ˇ Pound cake ˇ Spice cake ˇ Sponge cake Then there's the filling to consider: ˇ more icing ˇ different flavors of fruit preserves ˇ pudding ˇ custard ˇ whipped cream ˇ jams ˇ peanut butter ˇ pure chocolate Not only should you consider what type of cake to have but also how you might be able to decorate the cake in a way that will make the baby shower celebration more special. Here are some ideas:
1. Belly Cake. One great idea is to design a baby shower cake and make it look like a pregnant belly. This can be done by placing a circular cake in front of a rectangular cake and frosting them together to resemble that of a pregnant belly.
2. Toy Blocks Cake. Another idea is to design a baby shower cake and make it look like children's toy blocks (either one large block or 3 to 4 smaller blocks). Toy block cakes can be further enhanced by surrounding them with candies or little toy cars.
3. An Autograph Cake. This is a great idea where "Congratulations" is the only word on the cake, leaving room for each of the guests to "sign" their own name in icing. A picture of the cake is taken when everyone has signed it, making a great keepsake for the parents-to-be.
4. A Character Cake. The cake can be made in the form of a character, such as Pooh Bear.
5. A Baby Bib Cake. Another idea similar to the character cake, but the cake looks like a baby bib. There are so many different things you can do with a baby shower cake. Here are just a few other suggestions for cake shapes: Baby Buggy Baby Booties Bassinet Baby Bottle Noah's Ark There's also a "diaper" cake. But watch out--it's really made of diapers and not edible! Of course, you can also experiment with creative ideas of your own, or check out the cake design book at your local grocery store or bakery for ideas. Remember that the 'goal' is not only to make a yummy dessert, but also a great centerpiece or decoration that will stand out in the memories of the parents-to-be. But don't forget, stick to the baby shower theme!
Chocolate Fountain Articles
Chocolate Fountain Books